Our Culinary Team
While our roots are in bacon, over the past 5 years we have made significant investments in the culinary side of our business. Our culinary team now includes 6 chefs as well as 10 R&D team members who work with the culinary team to take products from the test kitchen to the production floor.
Chef Richard Colladonato, Director of Culinary Sales
- Chef Richard joined SugarCreek in January 2019
- He graduated from The Culinary Institute of America majoring in Culinary Arts.
- "My favorite dish to make is homemade pizza with my kids. Throwing flour and watching them enjoy
my passion is great"
- "The best meals for me have been at a picnic
table, in the kitchen with the kitchen staff after a busy night, with a group of Hurricane victims and at those soup kitchens where people really need you. Chefs have been given a talent that can change the day for others and that what’s make me happy”
Chef Gavin Estes, Director of Culinary Sales
- Gavin Estes, based in Louisville Colorado, has been with SugarCreek since October of 2017
- He, along with many of our other chefs, focus on Sous Vide cooking and how SugarCreek can incorporate more of that style of cooking into our production
- "My favorite part of being a chef is how the chef community is a true brotherhood. Most chefs are willing to help and teach what they know."
- "One pot cooking has always been one of my favorite methods. Layering flavors while maintaining ingredient doneness and viscosity is challenging and fun."
Chef Martin O'Brien, Director of Culinary Development
- Chef Martin O'Brien has been with SugarCreek since the beginning of 2019, working out of our Cambridge City Plant
- “As a chef, I like there being silence at the dinner table, meaning that everyone is eating. There is no better compliment than nothing because their mouths are full.”
- "I love the intellect that I get to work with. The people in the product development team are some of the most intelligent people to come across. I like that it is a family-oriented company
Chef Zach Shepard, Director of Culinary Development
- Chef Zach Shepard has been with SugarCreek since 2016.
- He attended Miami University for a business degree before focusing his attention on his culinary career. He attended and graduated from the Midwest Culinary Institute in 2006.
- SugarCreek's innovative Batter in Bag technology was created by the help Chef Zach and other creative team members, something that is changing the way proteins are handled and cooked.
- His golden rule in the kitchen is Misen Place, which is French for everything in its place. "90% of cooking is prep, so if a restaurant is not prepared, they won’t succeed"