Sous Vide has been a staple of European cooking for decades. But until now, North American use of the technique has largely been limited to high-end, small-batch cooking.
SugarCreek intends to change all of that. In 2015, we opened our 418,000 sq.-ft. facility in Cambridge City, Indiana (CCI). The plant houses several state-of-the-art cooking technologies, but the centerpiece of the facility is its large-scale sous vide operation.
In sous vide (pronounced “sue VEED”), the food is prepped, vacuum-packed and then cooked slowly and precisely in a circulated water bath. When the food reaches its optimal internal temperature and desired texture, it is quick-chilled and then refrigerated or frozen until it is ready to be served, either in a restaurant or in a consumer’s home.
Sous vide has many advantages, from lower cooking temperatures and energy consumption to far more precise treatment of proteins. Tenderness and yield are optimized, flavor and aroma are vastly improved and nutritional value is maintained at a much higher level while achieving the highest level of food safety. Sous vide also offers a greatly extended shelf-life for products that are, essentially, chef-cooked.
It is our belief that sous vide preparation will revolutionize the quality of RTE foods. It brings together a broad spectrum of efficiencies including better yields, less waste, consistency and food safety to produce a product that is unrivaled beyond the kitchens of the finest chefs.
Check out renowned Chef Brian Voltaggio talk about sous vide and its benefits!
FEATURES & BENEFITS
Quality & Consistency:
- Hot water, precision cook within 1/10°
- Integrity of cell structure is maintained
- Slow cook allows for retained moisture
- Even cook edge to edge unlike traditional methods
- Enhanced flavor and aroma
- Increased tenderness, texture
- Improved color and visual character
- Neutral proteins ready for culinary finish
- Cooks when chefs not available
- Ease of banquet/catering execution
- Simple management of fluctuating traffic periods
- Focus on FOH vs BOH; Speed of order to table
- Better yields (average sous vide shrink 5% vs. traditional cook methods at 30%)
- Less waste; Conserves energy
- Inexpensive cuts made tender
- Concentrated seasonings reduce costs
- Maximize your culinary resources; Focus on end product
Food Safety Benefits:
- Kill step achieved prior to customer receipt
- Eliminate raw protein cross contamination
- Maintains high nutritional content
- No additives or preservatives required
- Leaner products
To discuss how we can partner with your brand to co-develop innovative solutions, Click Here.
In the meantime, check out some of our most popular blog posts about sous vide:
- The Evolution of Sous Vide: Charting a Food Revolution
- Don't Know How Sous Vide Works? Check Out Our Infographic.
- Is There an Easy Way to Ensure the Safety and Shelf Life of RTE Meals?
- Sous Vide Recipes Help Maintain Consistency Across Your Brand
- Give Your Customers the Best Steak Ever with Sous Vide Recipes